End-User Migration Checklist
You are in the Tableau Cloud Manual Migration Guide.(Link opens in a new window) This guide describes how to manually migrate Tableau Server deployments with fewer than 100 users to Tableau Cloud.
Welcome to Tableau Cloud!
You're here because your Tableau administrator has recently migrated your Tableau Server environment to Tableau Cloud(Link opens in a new window), Tableau's fully managed analytics platform.
As a part of your migration, the following tasks need a few minutes of your time to make sure that you have a smooth transition to Tableau Cloud. If you were using any of the below features on Tableau Server, they will need to be re-created on Tableau Cloud. Review this list to understand what features need to be re-created and follow the steps provided to do so!
Work with your Tableau administrator to access both Tableau Server and Tableau Cloud while you migrate these items.
- URL actions: You’ll need to update URL actions that originated on Tableau Server so that they point to Tableau Cloud URLs, or you can use updated field variables. See URL Actions(Link opens in a new window).
- Subscriptions: You’ll need to resubscribe to views, workbooks, and flows on the Tableau Cloud site. See Create a Subscription to a View or Workbook(Link opens in a new window).
- Custom views: A custom view is a copy of a view that has your selections and filters applied. You’ll need to reapply custom views on your Tableau Cloud site. See Use Custom Views(Link opens in a new window).
- Row-level security: User and group names can change in a migration. If you used groups and user names in row-level security solutions within Tableau data policies, data sources or workbooks, they will need to be updated following a migration.
- Ask Data lenses: You’ll need to reconfigure Ask Data Lenses on Tableau Cloud. See Create Lenses that Focus Ask Data for Specific Audiences.
- Favorites: You must recreate your favorites. You can add any type of content to your favorites, except for embedded data sources. See Mark Favorites(Link opens in a new window).
- Collections: Collections will need to be re-created by users in Tableau Cloud.
- User account settings: Update your email settings and user interface options. See Manage Your Account Settings(Link opens in a new window).
- Saved credentials for data sources: You must update all data sources and flows that previously included your saved credentials. See Manage Saved Credentials for Data Connections.
- Webhooks: You must recreate Webhooks on Tableau Cloud. See Tableau Webhooks(Link opens in a new window).
- Embedding solutions: If Tableau Server views are embedded in any other applications, those solutions will need to be updated to use Tableau Cloud configurations. This includes, but isn’t limited to, the URL of the content item, how the web page interacts with the items, and authentication to the visualization.
- Dashboard extensions: Depending on the use case, dashboard extensions may need to be adapted to the new Tableau Cloud environment. See Dashboard Extensions(Link opens in a new window). Your Tableau administrator may need to set up dashboard extension support on your Cloud site(Link opens in a new window).
- Data Management: If your organization has purchased the Data Management add-on, then you must update data quality warnings and field descriptions. See Virtual Connections and Data Policies(Link opens in a new window).
This guide is organized according to a step-wise process for migrating to Tableau Cloud:
- Plan Your Migration
- Create and Configure a Tableau Cloud Site
- Migrate Data Sources, Workbooks, and Prep Flows to Tableau Cloud
- Recreate Refresh Schedules for Tableau Cloud
- Configure Permission and Content Access for Migrated Users
- Add Remaining Users to Tableau Cloud
- You are here: User Migration Checklist