Tableau Resource Monitoring Tool Communication Ports
This article lists the communication ports the Tableau Resource Monitoring Tool uses, and how to change these ports when your network requirements needs them to be different than what is set by default.
The lists describe the default port configuration. You can change or update the port information using:
- rmtadmin master-setup command
- Web interface: From the machine where RMT Server is installed, go to: http://localhost/setup/server
RMT Server Communications
Ports used: 9001, 443, and 80:
- Setup initially defaults to port 9001, but changes the default to 80 after initial configuration.
- The SSL self signed certificate on initial installation is for port 443. RMT Server listens on port 80 by default and will attempt to forward traffic to 443 for SSL. Any user specified certificate will also be for port 443.
- The certificates are used during user traffic to the RMT Server and when the Agent is registered using the Web interface
- We generally do not recommend changing port 443. If however, you need to change this due to your environment restrictions, you will need to explicitly list the port number when connecting to RMT Server. If you are registering the Agent using the web interface, you must explicitly specify the port number to connect to the RMT Server.
- Port 80 is used for non SSL traffic and can be changed either during initial setup or post installation.
The RMT Server will reach out directly to the Tableau Server gateway for REST API calls
The RMT Server will reach out directly to the Tableau Server repository to query information if PostgreSQL info is supplied (optional)
Note: Currently the communication between RMT Server and Tableau Server repository cannot be configured to use SSL.
RabbitMQ is the message que the Agent uses to send information to the RMT Server.
Ports used: 5672
- RabbitMQ is installed and listens to port 5672. This cannot be changed.
- TLS communication for RabbitMQ can be setup but not through the Resource Monitoring Tool. For more information see the Rabbit MQ documentation.
Ports used: 5555
- PostgreSQL database is installed and listens to port 5555 and cannot be changed.
- PostgreSQL has an admin users that is used by the Resource Monitoring Tool. The readonly user is used to download the TDS files. For more information on downloading the TDS files, see Explore Monitoring Data Using Tableau Data Source Files.
PostgreSQL requires SCRAM-SHA-256 authentication. For more information, see Explore Monitoring Data Using Tableau Data Source Files.
Ports used: 9002, 443, 5672
- During installation, the Agent installer open a web browser that is only used for registration that listens on port 9002.
If Agent registration is done using the web interface, the registration process uses port 443. If the registration is done using the command line, the registration process goes through RabbitMQ and uses port 5672.
- Agent sends log files and WMI information through RabbitMQ over port 5672.