Minimum Hardware Requirements and Recommendations for Tableau Resource Monitoring Tool
Tableau Resource Monitoring Tool handles all of the processing, aggregation, storage, and web interface to the monitoring data collected from your Tableau Server installation.
For production use, the machine that you install Resource Monitoring Tool on should meet or exceed the hardware recommendations below:
- 8 physical CPU cores (16 vCPUs)
- CPUs must support SSE4.2 and POPCNT instruction sets
- 64GB RAM
- 500GB Disk Space for RMT Server
- SSD drive or similar for performance
For RMT Server installations that match the minimum hardware specified above, the Resource Monitoring Tool can provide performance reporting for a Tableau Server deployments serving up to 10,000 views per hour.
For deployments with more view loads per hour, or very high numbers of background jobs, data delays may occur. In these cases, you may need to upgrade your hardware.
Resource Monitoring Tool Agent - Resource Utilization
The Resource Monitoring Tool Agent monitors the operating system and Tableau Server processes and log files and sends performance metrics and Tableau log data to the Resource Monitoring Tool for near real time processing. The Agent needs to be installed on every machine that is running Tableau Server.
On Tableau Server installations that match Minimum Hardware Requirements and Recommendations for Tableau Server, here is what to expect:
- We typically see the Agent using 0-5% CPU on average with infrequent spikes above that. Our performance target is an average of 10% CPU usage or less.
- The agent typically uses 200 MB RAM or less with infrequent spikes during periods of heavier Tableau Server activity.
- A minimum of 10 GB free disk space is recommended for the machine where Agent is installed.
Installing in a Cloud Environment
Resource Monitoring Tool can be installed on a virtual machine in any cloud environment that you may be using for your Tableau Servers. The virtual machine where RMT Server is installed will need to meet the same minimum hardware requirements described above.
To install Resource Monitoring Tool, you must be all the following:
- Administrator on the machine you are installing Resource Monitoring Tool.
- Tableau Server Administrator.
- Resource Monitoring Tool Administrator.