Create Extracts on the Web
You can create extracts in the browser, without using Tableau Desktop.
- Your connection credentials must be embedded in the data source.
- You can't create extracts for embedded data sources that reference published data sources. As a workaround, create the extract directly on the published data source.
- In the web, you can't specify extract settings like incremental refresh and extract filters.
- This feature does not apply to file-based data sources. File-based data sources already have special performance features and adding extraction will have no performance benefit.
- This feature does not apply to bridge-based data sources in Tableau Online.
Extract a Published Data Source
To extract a published data source:
- On the Content tab, select Explore > Data sources.
- Select a data source by clicking on the Data Source name.
- At the top of the screen, under the Data Source name, select the drop-down menu that says Live.
- Change the connection type from Live to Extract. If the extract encryption at rest feature is enabled on the site, select either Encrypted or Unencrypted.
- If you see an error message about embedded credentials, embed your credentials in the data source. To do this, click Edit Connection. Select "Embedded password in connection” and then click Save.
Extract a Data Source that is Embedded in a Published Workbook
To extract the data source:
- Navigate to the published workbook.
- Navigate to the Data Sources tab
- Select one or more of the data sources.
- Click the Action button.
- Click Extract. If the extract encryption at rest feature is enabled on the site, select either Encrypted or Unencrypted.