Most workbooks you encounter in a Tableau Online or Tableau Server site are created and published to the web using Tableau Desktop, or are created directly on the web. When Desktop is unavailable, you can upload Tableau workbooks and Tableau packaged workbooks directly to your Tableau Online or Tableau Server site if you have a Creator and Explorer (can publish) site role.
Upload a new workbook to a Tableau site
To upload a workbook:
- Sign in to a site on Tableau Online or Tableau Server.
- From the Home or Explore pages, select New > Workbook Upload.
- In the dialog that opens, do either of the following:
- Select Choose a file to select a .twb or .twbx file from your computer
- Drag and drop a file into the upload area of the dialog.
Files must be 50 MB or smaller to be uploaded.
- In the Name field, enter a name for your workbook. By default, the workbook will retain the name of the file.
- Choose a project where your workbook will be published, or leave as is to publish the workbook to the Default project.
Note: You’ll see a warning if the project already contains a workbook with the same name. You can override an existing workbook, or update the Name field to something else.
- Optionally, add a workbook description or select Show sheets as tabs to provide tab-based navigation.
How sheet tabs are configured also impacts permissions. When a workbook shows sheets as tabs, workbook-level permission rules are applied to the sheets. When the sheets are not shown as tabs, any changes made to workbook permissions do not apply to the individual sheets (aka views). View-level permissions must be set independently. For more infomation, see the Set Content Permissions tab in the Permissions topic for more information.
- Select Upload.
- When the workbook uploads successfully, you’re directed to the first sheet of the workbook.
If the workbook is overwriting an existing workbook, confirm that you’d like to overwrite, or select Cancel to rename.
Note: Uploading publishes every sheet in the workbook. To limit publishing to specific sheets, use Tableau Desktop to upload.
Permissions and data source connections
To upload a workbook, you must have permission to publish to the site and the project.
If your workbook uses an embedded data source that requires a password, you can embed credentials after you publish the workbook.
To edit the data source connection after uploading and publishing a workbook:
- Open the workbook for editing, select the Data Source tab, and select Edit Connection.
- From the Data Sources tab, select the Actions menu (...) and select Edit Connection.