The Tableau Content Migration Tool includes a command-line utility for running migrations,
tabcmt-runner.exe, located in the installation folder. The default installation folder is
%PROGRAMFILES%\Tableau\Tableau Content Migration Tool.
tabcmt-runner.exe utility is not the same as the
tabcmt.cmd command line utility which is used to configure the Content Migration Tool graphical application. For more information about
tabcmt.cmd, see Using the Tableau Content Migration Tool Command Line Interface.
- tabcmt-runner [options] <plan_file.tcmx>
- tabcmt-runner license --remove
- tabcmt-runner license <new license key>
- tabcmt-runner license <license file path> [--passphrase=<license file passphrase>]
- tabcmt-runner encryption --reset
- tabcmt-runner encryption <new_key>
- tabcmt-runner improvement [on|off]
- tabcmt-runner --help
- tabcmt-runner --version
- tabcmt-runner script-warning [on|off]
Executes a migration plan immediately.
tabcmt-runner [options] <plan file>
--logfile=<file name>sets the file name to log output to
--https=<secure|legacy>sets the HTTPS mode
--quietdisables logging to stdout
--src-user=<username>sets the username of the source connection
--src-password=<password>sets the password of the source connection
--dest-user=<username>sets the username of the destination connection
--dest-password=<password>sets the password of the destination connection
- 0 indicates that the migration was successful.
- 1 indicates that the migration was successful but warning messages were logged.
- 2 indicates that the migration failed. Specific errors will be included in the log output.
Show Plan Summary
Shows a summary of the migration plan and then exits.
tabcmt-runner --info <plan file>
Shows usage information for the command line utility.
Shows the current application version information.
Reset the encryption key, or specify a new one. You must specify the encryption key before using the
tabcmt-runner utility, even if you already done so from the Content Migration Tool UI.
tabcmt-runner encryption <new_key> | --reset
Enables or disables collection of anonymous usage information by the application. This information is completely anonymous and is sent periodically to Tableau to help us improve Content Migration Tool.
Show whether the improvement program is enabled or disabled:
Enable or disable the improvement program:
tabcmt-runner improvement <on|off>
Deprecated in July 2022.
This command is only applicable for legacy licenses. Manages a legacy application license for the current user. When using a legacy key, to use the
tabcmt-runner utility you must activate the license using this command, even if you already activated it from the Content Migration Tool UI.
Show the current license information:
Set/activate a serial key or offline license key:
tabcmt-runner license <key>
Remove/deactivate the current license:
tabcmt-runner license --remove
Set/activate using a license file:
tabcmt-runner license <file path> [--passphrase=<password>]
Shows a warning message when running a migration plan that includes migration scripts.
Note: This command updates your selection on the Settings page. For more information, see Tableau Content Migration Tool Settings.
Show if script warning is turned on or off.
Turn script warning on or off
tabcmd-runner script-warning <on|off>
If turned on, you must include the option
--allow-scripts to execute migration plans.
tabcmd-runner --allow-scripts <plan file>
To use the console runner, you must have all the following:
- Administrator permissions on the Content Migration Tool machine.
- Tableau site user account with an Explorer role or higher.
- View and Download Workbook/Save a Copy permissions on the source site.
- Publishing rights for the destination site.